BookPolicy Manual Section5000 Students TitleDIET MODIFICATIONS Codepo5335.01 StatusActive AdoptedJune 18, 2012



The Board of Education recognizes that some students need dietary modifications. Students with a food allergy classified as a disability under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act or Part B of IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) are entitled to receive appropriate substitutions of food items when the allergen could result in severe, life-threatening (anaphylactic) reaction. All such dietary modifications should be noted in the affected student’s 504 plan and/or health plan, as the case may be.


Substitutions to the standard meal requirements shall be made, at no additional charge, for students who are certified by a licensed physician to have a disability which restricts his/her diet, in accordance with the criteria set forth in 7 C.F.R. 15(b)(3). To qualify for such substitutions the medical certification must identify:

  1. the student's disability and the major life activity affected by the disability;


  2. an explanation of why the disability affects the students diet; and


  3. the food(s) to be omitted from the student's diet, and the food or choice of foods that must be substituted (e.g., caloric modifications or use of liquid nutritive formula).

On a case by case basis, substitutions to the standard meal requirements may be made, at no additional charge, for students who are not "disabled persons", but have a signed statement from a qualified medical authority that the student cannot consume certain food items due to medical or other special dietary needs. To qualify for such consideration and substitutions the medical statement must indentify:

  1. the medical or dietary need that restricts the student's diet; and


  2. the food(s) to be omitted from the student's diet and the food(s) or choice of foods that may be substituted.

For non-disabled students who need a nutritional equivalent milk substitute, only a signed request by a parent or guardian is required.


The parent shall contact the Food and Nutrition Services Department to obtain the appropriate form required to document the need for a dietary modification, provide verification from a licensed health care provider, and request the substitution of food items.


© Neola 2012

Legal7 C.F.R. Part 15b, USDA Regulations

BoardDocs is intended for the use of subscribers and licensed customers. All users are required to read and follow the acceptable use policy.